Joe Altieri’s distinctive trait of studying people and being in tune to their emotional cues gives the trial teams on which he serves a view into understanding how people think and how best to persuade them through the process of litigation. Joe’s early education and upbringing in a Quaker school helped shape his view of the world and the people in it. Skilled at crafting compelling and persuasive arguments, Joe brings a level of emotional intelligence to each aspect of the litigation experience. What he enjoys most about practicing law is the unique blend of people with whom he gets to work and shepherding corporate witnesses through the unfamiliar experience of litigation.
Joe has extensive experience in pre-trial preparation including conducting legal research, witness preparation, developing direct and cross-examinations, and drafting briefings and motions. He has:
- conducted numerous depositions, including of plaintiffs and their treating physicians in multimillion dollar products liability litigation
- supervised a team of staff attorneys vetting hundreds of potential experts in various scientific disciplines
- drafted evidentiary and dispositive motions
- prepared and assisted in defending expert witnesses at deposition
- prepared company witnesses in both personal and representative capacities for deposition and trial testimony
- directed and coordinated large-scale discovery and drafted responses to written discovery and requests for production
- analyzed corporate documents and prepared strategic defenses to likely plaintiff themes
While at Georgetown Law, he was Vice-President of the Student Bar Association, Development Editor of the Journal of Gender and the Law, received the Alan Goldstein Memorial Award for exceptional client advocacy, and was awarded the Dean’s Certificate in recognition of “outstanding service to the Georgetown Law community.”
Prior to joining the firm, Joe was an Assistant Director of Admission at both the University of Miami and the State University of New York. He served as an intern for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia, the Federal Public Defender’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia, and for The Honorable Judge Rainey Brant of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.
Joe has been a member of the firm’s recruitment, professional development, and community engagement committees, and is a co-chair of the firm’s LGBTQ+ employee community group.
EducationGeorgetown Law (J.D. 2017, cum laude) University of Miami (B.B.A., 2009, magna cum laude)
- District of Columbia
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, Personal Injury-Products Defense, 2023
- Unmatched Athlete, Board Member